DIY Trick or Treat Ombre Pumpkin
A while back I shared a video tutorial on how to make ombre painted pumpkins. Since I’m still loving the ombre trend I decided to remake that tutorial by adding a festive adhesive vinyl sticker to the mix. The result is a bold pumpkin with festive text!
I used my Silhouette to cut out the black adhesive vinyl. It’s not necessary to complete this project but I promise if you get one you’ll find a million uses for it. I totally have!
I started with a white faux pumpkin though this project can also be done on real pumpkins. I like the idea of being able to reuse faux pumpkins each year by simply repainting/redecorating them.
– Pumpkin (real or faux)
– White paint (if you’re not using a white faux pumpkin)
– 3 colors of craft in similar shades
– Medium paint brush
– Adhesive vinyl
– Transfer paper
– Silhouette Trick or Treat template
– Printable Trick or Treat template, optional
– X-acto knife, optional
1. Start by painting the entire pumpkin white. If you’re using a white faux pumpkin, skip this step!
2. Start by painting the lightest color on the upper third of the pumpkin. You need to work quickly! While the paint is still wet paint the medium shade on the middle portion of the pumpkin. Then quickly paint the darkest color on the bottom third of the pumpkin. Brush over each previously painted section to blend the colors. Allow the paint to dry completely.
3. Meanwhile, use your Silhouette to cut out the Trick or Treat template on adhesive vinyl. (here are some tips on cutting out and applying vinyl stickers with your Silhouette) If you don’t have a Silhouette, use the Printable Trick or Treat template. Print out the template, cut out the black shape, then trace the design on a sheet of vinyl. Then use your X-acto or craft knife to cut out the design.
4. Cover the entire cut out vinyl design with transfer paper. Smooth out any air bubbles with a squeegee or credit card. Peel away the paper backing and the ‘trick or treat’ design should be adhered to the transfer paper. Place the entire design on your pumpkin and carefully press the design onto the pumpkin. I worked from left to right, smoothing out any air bubbles along the way. I also pressed the sticker into the creases of the pumpkin as I went along.
Crafty Time: Trick or Treat Ombre Pumpkin - Things To Do Yourself - DIY
[…] DIY Trick or Treat Ombre Pumpkin […]
Tammy MeierCrafty Time: Trick or Treat Ombre Pumpkin – Things To Do Yourself – DIY
I have a Cricut but it isn’t letting me download the template
Sarah KhandjianTammy Meier
Hi Tammy, unfortunately I created this post 8 years ago and I’m unable to locate the file I used. My apologies!
The Monday Mix | Domestocrat
[…] for something cute and unique to do with your pumpkins this year? Try this amazing DIY ombre pumpkin! I love Sarah Hearts crafty ideas, they are always so […]
Sarah Hearts - No Carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
[…] more pumpkin decorating ideas? Check out my scalloped tissue paper pumpkin, trick or treat pumpkin, and my washi tape pumpkins. Oh and I’ve also made chalkboard pumpkins, […]
Take Your Spooky Decorations to the Next Level - 20 Decorative Halloween Painted Pumpkins
[…] DIY Trick Or Treat Ombre Pumpkin from sarahhearts.com […]
20 Creative Pumpkin Decorating Ideas | Sarah Blooms
[…] Get the tutorial. […]