DIY Heart Shaped Number Pillows
Last week June turned 1 month old! I seriously cannot believe how fast it has gone. Well at least the days seem fast and the nights seem long with a newborn. At the end of my pregnancy you may remember that I was sewing like crazy both for me and for June. One of the last projects I completed before she was born were these heart shaped number pillows. I made them to create a fun way to capture her monthly photos and document her growth. And after the first year, she can use them to learn her numbers or just chew on because I’m sure the later is more likely what will happen.
If you are expecting I’ve provided the directions below so you can make your own pillows. And if you have a friend who is, these would make a great baby shower gift. Just make them in their nursery’s colors.
But before we begin, I gotta share a photo of June. Because hearts on hearts and a cute baby equal all the heart eyes emojis.
1/4″ yard of solid colored fabric for each pillow
White flocked heat transfer vinyl
Thread in the same colors as your fabric
Wide format printer, optional
Silhouette or Cricut cutting machines
- Download the heart template and print it out on 11″ x 17″ paper. If your home printer can’t print that large, you can get the file printed at your local copy shop or office supply store. Cut out the heart patterns.
- Pin or trace the heart patterns onto the fabric. Cut out 2 pieces for each pillow.
- Use your Silhouette or Cricut cutting machines to cut out the numbers onto flocked heat transfer vinyl. Be sure the numbers are mirrored and the plastic, shinny side of the material is facing down when you cut it. Weed away the extra, negative space and cut out each number leaving a couple inches of extra space around each one.
- Iron on the numbers onto the front side of one piece of fabric for each pillow. Follow the directions on the heat transfer vinyl packing for specific temperature settings.
- Place the pillow front and back together with right sides facing each other. Sew all the way around the pillow with a 3/8″ seam allowance. Leave an opening about 2-3″ wide.
- Trim the seam allowances and clip around the rounded parts of the heart. Turn the pillow right side out and fill it with the polyester stuffing. Use your sewing machine or hand stitch the opening closed. Repeat with the other pillows to create a set of 12 pillows.
June Willow is 1 Year Old! - Sarah Hearts
[…] out my DIY number heart pillow tutorial if you want to make your babe the same kind of pillows! And a big thanks for reading my Juney […]