DIY Paint Dipped Vases
On Monday you got a peek at some cute paint dipped vases I made for our fun summer party shoot. They were so easy to make and the best part is that the paint dipping didn’t damage the vases! What’s better than party decor that you can use again and again, right? So today I wanted to show you exactly how I made the paint dipped, color blocked vases.
The trick is that the white color blocked layer is actually white balloons cut and stretched over the bottom of the jars. I just love the way it looks like thick, opaque paint without the huge mess and long drying time of actually dipping them in paint. This technique would be great as-is and I think it would look stunning with metallic gold balloons. I wanted to add a second color to the vases to bring in the magenta and sherbet orange from the printable invitation I made.
– glass jars or vases that are 3″ in diameter or smaller (I got mine at Hobby Lobby)
– white balloons
– craft paint, in any colors you like
– painter’s tape
– small, flat paint brush
1. Gather your supplies. If you are recycling old jars, make sure they are clean.
2. Cut the end off one balloon, about 1/2″ below the tail part.
3. Carefully stretch the larger part of the balloon you just cut over the bottom of one jar/vase. Smooth out any wrinkles. If you don’t want two-tone vases, you can skip the remaining steps.
4. Apply a strip of painter’s tape all the way around the bottom part of the balloon making sure the bottom edge is smooth and adhered to the jar.
5. Painting away from the bottom edge of the tape, paint a thin coat of paint. Allow it to dry completely (this should only take 5-10 minutes) and add a second coat. For very transparent colors you may need to add a third coat.
6. Once the final coat of paint is dry carefully remove the painter’s tape. Then fill your paint dipped jars with some pretty fresh flowers!
Be sure to check out Melinda’s, Carmen’s, and Melissa’s blogs for more lovely details from our summer shoot.
Brilliant idea and lovely bright colors!
Rachel | The Crafted Life
I’ve been wondering about these vases all week! Such a brilliant and fun idea. Love it :)
Wow, I’ve been waiting all week but thinking both colors were just paint. So so clever! Pinned.
I love these! They really made the tablescape come to life!!!!
After I saw your post of the invites, I had to come find out how you did these! The balloons is crazy smart!
Thanks! And thanks so much for checking it out!