DIY Matchstick Jars
Lately I’ve been on a candle kick but every time I go to light a candle, I dig through the junk drawer in the kitchen to find the matches. So in effort to always have matches handy, I’ve created these pretty matchstick jars. They are a cute and colorful way to make sure you always have matchsticks. Keep a jar in the kitchen or in the bathroom and make a few extra to keep on hand for last-minute hostess gifts.
This really is a 5-minute DIY you guys. All you need to do is download the free printable and print it out on Avery Sticker Project Paper. Stick them on some cute glass jars and fill them up with matches! Since matchsticks need a surface to strike them on, I added a strip of sand paper to the front of each label (I’ve even included a rectangle on the labels so you know exactly where to place it on the label).
I picked up these jars at Daiso, the Japanese dollar store, but you can use any type of jar you like. If you’re the thrifting type, these would look adorable in a pretty vintage bottle with a cork stopper.
DIY Matchstick Jars
Download the label designs
Avery 3383 paper
320 grit sandpaper sheet
small glass jars – similar
scissors or paper trimmer
printer (I use this one)
- Sign into your MyAvery account and select Start a New Project.
- Enter 3383 into the Quick Search field to find the Sticker Project Paper and click Select this Product > Select this Design
- Click Image > Add Image > Computer > Browse for File > Select the printable matchstick labels download . Be sure the select the check box that says, “Set Image as Background” under Settings before browsing for your file.
- Load your printer with one sheet of the Avery Sticker Project Paper and print on the label or matte photo paper setting.
- Cut out each label using scissors or a paper trimmer. Cut the 320 grit sand paper into 1.5” x .5” inch strips.
- Remove the paper backing from the labels and apply them to the glass jars. Use double-sided tape to adhere the sand paper strip to the center of each label. Then fill each jar with matches and they are ready to be used.
labels do double-duty
Love the labels but want to use them for something other than matchsticks? Download the MyAvery labels without any text here. To open and edit them, head to Avery.com/open and upload the .avery file. Click Open and you will pop right into Avery Design and Print Online. Then use the text and shape tools to add your own text. These labels could be used for everything from party favors to candy box labels.
Very creative. I am looking for an inspiration for matches for weddings and this came up. This is good for giveaways too. What do you think?
Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake
This project is adorable! And I love that your templates with Avery are editable, that is such a great feature! So cute!
Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling
I love these labels! The colors and patterns are so perfect.
Tan of Squirrelly Minds
Very cute! I love those little jars (Daiso is just the best) and the labels are perfection
This is so clever! I tend to leave trails of matchboxes around my house wherever our candles are – having little matchbox jars makes so much more sense (not to mention they’re way prettier!)
So cute! Do you have a good source for different colored matches? Thanks!
Hi Karen, unfortunately I don’t! If you find one, please share!